Screenshots on a Mac - Good, Better, Best

When I worked on both Macs and PCs, I always appreciated the extra ease of use and control in taking Mac screenshots. Now that I'm always on a Mac, I usually take screenshots for granted. However, today I'm excited to add a new keyboard shortcut to my screenshot repertoire. The basics:

Cmd-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of your entire screen.

Cmd-Shift-4: Take a screenshot of specific area of your screen. Select the area by drawing a box around the area with the crosshairs.

The new (to me) shortcut: Cmd-Shift-4 + Spacebar
Press the first 3 keys together and then, when the crosshairs appear, press the spacebar. The cursor will turn into a camera. Using the cursor/camera, select a specific window or panel to take a screenshot of only that panel. The screenshot image will appear on a transparent background if you open it in Photoshop.


For even more detail on Mac screenshots, see this guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment